Friday, December 14, 2007

Lif sucks when people think you're crazy

First, I would like to say that this class has been one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had at this school. Secondly, and most importantly, I think this class challenged me more than any other class I have ever had.

When we first got into theory it was foreign and difficult to understand but one day along the way it just clicked and I started to see some of what we are talking about. I feel that I have come a long way since then. I enjoyed and engaged in all of the theories covered by this class however I took a strong liking to post-structuralism, post-modernism, and psycho-analytic theory. Over the semester my class reading became my casual reading as I began to purchase works by Jean Baudrillard and Guy Debord. I am planning on reading a collection of essays by Derrida in the near future. I can’t wait.

As for theory being dead, all I have to say is “… ….. …… …. .. … . …… .. ….. …….. … .. . … .. … …. …. .. ……”

By that I mean there is so much to say and still it is all nonexistent in many ways. So much that is beneath the surface, waiting to be uncovered by theory but ultimately who cares? It is after all just theory and cannot be put into practice. How are we ever supposed to take down the dominant, hegemonic, masculine structure that oppresses us all when the people we are trying to help don’t see it or interpret what we say as being crazy jargon? Look at the way Baudrillard was received. I think the man has a lot of great ideas but he was treated like a fraud pretending to be a philosopher. All I can really say is that I am thankful for the knowledge I now have but it may only aid in alienating myself from others even more.

No comments: